Office of Construction

609-654-8898  Ext. 128

Richard Falasco, Construction Official

Karen Summers, Assistant to the Construction Official

Required Inspections

Construction work must be inspected in accordance with the State Uniform Construction Code Regulations N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.18. This agency will carry out such periodic inspections during the progress of work as are necessary to ensure that work installed conforms with the requirements of the Uniform Construction Code.

The owner or other responsible person in charge of work must notify this agency when work is ready for any required inspections specified below. Requests for inspections may be called in with permit numbers to the Construction Department between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:00 pm. The work must not proceed in a manner which will preclude the inspection until it has been made and approval given.

Required inspections for all subcodes are as follows:

The bottom of footing trenches before placement of footings, except that in the case of pile foundations, inspections shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the building subcode.

 Foundations and all walls up to grade level prior to back filling.

 Utility services, including septic.

 All structural framing, connections, wall and roof sheathing and insulation; electrical rough wiring, panel and service installation; rough plumbing. The framing inspection shall take place after the rough electrical and plumbing inspections and after the installation of the heating, ventilation and/or air conditioning duct system. The insulation inspection shall be performed after all other subcodes rough inspections and prior to the installation of any interior finish material.

 Additional required inspections for all subcodes of construction, for other than one and two family dwellings, are fire suppression systems, heat producing devices and Barrier- Free subcode accessibility, if applicable.

 Required special inspections. The applicant by accepting the permit will be deemed to have consented to these requirements.

 A final inspection is required for each applicable subcode area before a final Certificate of Occupancy or Approval may be issued. The final inspections include the installation of all interior and exterior finish materials, sealing of exterior joints, mechanical system and other required equipment; electrical wiring, devices and fixtures; plumbing pipes, trim and fixtures; tests required by any provision of the adopted subcodes, Barrier Free accessibility, if applicable; and verification of compliance with NJAC 5:23-3.5, “Posting structures.”

 A complete copy of stamped released plans must be kept on the job site.

NJ STATE LAW 13:45A-16.2 for building, electrical, plumbing, fire and elevator inspections - FINAL INSPECTIONS ARE REQUIRED BEFORE FINAL PAYMENT IS MADE TO CONTRACTOR

Call Before You Dig

Attention Homeowners! Are You Digging?

Remember to call before you dig 1-800-272-1000 to locate underground facilities.

The Underground Facility Protection Act, better known as the “One Call Law,” was signed into law in October 1994. This law requires that anyone digging must call 1-800-272-1000, so that operators can mark out their underground utilities. Anyone digging to install, remove or replace trees, tree stumps, curbs, street and sign posts, mailbox posts, fences, construct decks, additions or create new gardens, etc. must call 1-800-272-1000.

The One-Call System will notify the operators of underground facilities to mark out your planned activity. You must wait three (3) business days for your mark out and not more than 10 days before you begin your project. Your notification is good for 30 business days.

Remember…..It’s The Law!

Deck Guidelines



Submit two copies of deck construction plans. Plans must include all dimensions of deck including spans, type and sizes of all lumber. Please show footing location and detail or footing depth. Plans must show attachment to house, show rise and run of stairs and details for handrail and guards.  The homeowner must sign all plans


Homeowners should also be aware that under the Electrical Contractors Licensing Law, homeowners of a single-family, detached dwelling unit may perform their own electrical work. Homeowners of condominiums, townhouses, duplexes or any multi-family building, as well as those affiliated with an Association, must hire a New Jersey licensed electrician to perform any electrical work in their home.

Electrical permit application requirements include the following: Commercial buildings, rental units, ac replacements, landscape lighting above 10 volts, pools and hot tubs all require a Licensed Electrical Contractor. Burglar and fire alarm systems require a Licensed Electrical or Licensed Alarm Contractor. Lawn sprinkler systems require a Licensed Electrical or Certified Landscape Irrigation Contractor.

The only exceptions are homeowners performing their own work in a Single Family Detached Dwelling; this does not apply to condominiums, townhouses, duplexes or any multi-family building.

Electrical technical cards must be filled out completely and legibly and must include:

  • The licensee as it appears on the business permit
  • The license number
  • Seal and signature
  • A working phone number

 Permit Guidelines

  1. Plans shall be signed and sealed by a Licensed New Jersey Architect, or Engineer, and shall conform to current code.
  2. A homeowner may prepare plans to be used on their “owner occupied” home and must conform to code. Drawings should indicate that they were prepared and signed by the homeowner.
  3. Building: Plans and specifications shall contain: Foundation, floor, roof, and structural plans; door, window and finish schedules; sections, details, connections, and material designations with sufficient clarity and detail to show the nature and character of the work to be performed. Please be aware that we are in a 110-mph wind zone. Asphalt roofing shingles must be installed as per code.
  4. Trusses: Truss layout and drawings shall be submitted with engineer’s seal and signature. All bracing detail and installations shall be included.
  5. Engineered Lumber: This includes manufactured floor joists, laminated beams and columns. Shop drawings shall be submitted with Engineer’s seal and signature. All point load and blocking locations shall be indicated. Include manufacturer’s installation instructions for products used.
  6. Steel: Shop drawings with specifications shall be submitted with Engineer’s seal and signature.
  7. Heating Technical Sheet: To be completely filled out with heat-loss calculations and submitted with any project that includes a heated area.
  8. Plumbing: Waste, vent and gas drawings shall be submitted as isometric drawings with all pipe sizes. Plans and all specifications shall contain: Floor plan, fixture count, pipe sizes and other equipment specifications and materials, as well as method of sewage disposal. Well-to-city water needs to have a letter from Board of Health stating whether well will be abandoned properly, or used for irrigation only. Septic-to-sewer connection, resulting in septic abandonment, requires receipts for septic pumping and filling.
  9. Electrical: Tech card must be completed with electrical contractor information, signature and seal. If homeowner is doing the work, they must sign the electrical plans, card and also complete and sign Certification in Section I on jacket. If you live in a condo, duplex, townhouse or apartment, you MUST have a licensed contractor. A licensed electrician must sign and seal all plans.
  10. Once the permit is issued, any deviations or substitutions to the originally approved drawings must be submitted and approved prior to scheduling inspections.


New construction requiring permits

  • ·New home
  • ·Additions
  • ·Finished basements
  • ·Water Heaters (add new & replacement)
  • ·Wood stove/fireplace(gas)
  • ·Septic laterals
  • ·Water mains
  • ·Lawn sprinkler
  • ·Gas piping
  • ·Furnace/boiler(add new & replacement)
  • ·Pool heaters
  • ·A/C(add new & replacement)
  • ·Add water connection      
  • ·Oil/gas tank removal/installation

Repair or replacement req. permits

  • ·A/C
  • ·HWH
  • ·Furnace/boiler
  • ·Gas piping
  • ·Propane/oil tanks
  • ·Water mains
  • ·Sewer mains

When a condition occurs that affects the environmental conditions of an occupied space, that condition may be considered an emergency repair.  The replacement of a furnace or hot water heater is an example of an emergency repair.  When this occurs, you are required to obtain a permit within 72 hours after work is completed.

Energy Code Compliance

Energy Code Compliance is required to be submitted for all new homes, additions, alterations and rehabilitations. Complete information as directed by web site at and submit with permit application.

For rentals and change of Occupancy

A residential Smoke Detector/CO Detector/Fire Extinguisher inspection is performed in conjunction with the CCO (Certificate of Continued Occupancy) inspection. A simple application can be completed when applying for a residential CCO when selling or renting a home. Inspections will be scheduled depending on availability.  The cost of the Smoke Detector/CO Detector Compliance Certificate is $50 if scheduled 10 days prior to change of occupancy, $70.00 if scheduled 4-10 days  prior to change or $125 if scheduled less than 4 days prior.  Cash or Money Order are acceptable methods of payment. The Certificate issued is good for six months from the date of issuance. The following items are inspected so that a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Detector/ Compliance Certificate can be issued.

Operating Smoke Detectors must be installed on each level/floor of the home (basement included) and are required to be within ten feet of any sleeping area.  Original systems installed within the homes at the time of construction must be maintained (e.g. Interconnected systems cannot be replaced with a stand-alone battery- operated one).

Homeowners are required to install a carbon monoxide detector as per manufacturer installation instructions of the brand they choose.  A minimum of one (1) must be installed in the vicinity of all sleeping areas.  If bedrooms exist on more than one level, additional detectors are required to protect each area.  Instruction booklet/directions should be left for future homeowner.

All residential units must have a fire extinguisher rated for residential use.  It must be 2A-10BC-type and weigh no more than 10 lbs.  It is suggested that the extinguisher be placed in the kitchen cabinet under the sink or mounted within 10 feet of the kitchen. 

You will also need an extraneous flow inspection, this inspection insures that sump pumps, roof drains, and floor drains are not connected to the Borough wastewater system.  The fee for this inspection is $25.00.

Smoke Detector/CO Detector/Fire Extinguisher Inspection Application.

Extranous Flow Application.