Municipal Court-Medford Lakes & Shamong Township
Municipal Courts of Medford Lakes Borough, Shamong Township, Tabernacle Township, and Woodland Township.
Municipal Court Sessions:
Court sessions are normally held the first Monday of the month unless it falls on a holiday. Sign in starts at 8:30 a.m. for all attorney cases and 10 a.m. for defendants without attorneys (PRO SE), while Public Defender matters begin at 9am. During the ongoing COVID19 pandemic, court appearances are scheduled virtually through ZOOM. Please provide your email address to the court staff to ensure that a ZOOM invite (including meeting id and password) is emailed to you about 2 weeks prior to court. Please check your email from the sender MAC. Often the ZOOM information is written on your court summons that is mailed to your home address.
Monday/Wednesday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday/Thursday 11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Judge: Peter C. Lange, Jr.
Court Administrator: Lena Creer (Acting)
Violation Payment Window:
The violation payment window is open to the public during business hours. The court staff can process in person cash, check, money orders and credit card payments. Mailed payments can be process for checks and money orders. Please mail payments to:
Medford Lakes or Shamong Township Municipal Court
1 Cabin Circle
Medford Lakes, NJ 08055
If you are unable to make it to the office during business hours and do not wish to mail in your payment, you are welcomed to use the green drop box located on the outside of the building to the right of the front doors. Payments can also be made by credit card or debit card online on the NJMCDIRECT.COM. Credit card payments are not accepted over the phone.
Court Appearance information:
If you’d like to contest a payable traffic ticket, YOU DO NOT have to appear in court. You may choose to contest your ticket online at NJMCdirect.com. Please enter your court code, prefix of your ticket, ticket number and license plate of your vehicle. Information on how to contest your ticket will appear after you enter your information. This system will allow you to communicate with the Municipal Prosecutor and hopefully resolve your matter without an appearance in court.
Helpful Phone Numbers:
- Reduced fee Lawyer Referral Service of Burlington County: 609-261-4542. This service provides legal referrals in a particular field of law in which the client needs help. Attorneys will have an initial consultation with client for a reduced fee.
- Lawyer Referral Service of Burlington County Bar Association: 609-261-4862.
- Office on Aging, Human Services Facility: 609-265-5069. Legal Aid is one of the many services provided by the County Office on Aging to the residents of Burlington County who are over the age of 60. This service provides legal advice but does not provide representation in the municipal courts.
The Honorable JMC Peter C. Lange will make an opening statement to all defendants NOT represented by an attorney. This statement will provide you with information on your rights. You may review the opening statement on YouTube (search for Municipal Court opening Statement) or by using the following QR code:
Court Session Rules:
While Court is in session, please respectfully conduct yourself as follows:
- NO eating, drinking, smoking, or driving during court.
- Please rename your device to your first and last name. If you DO NOT rename your device, you will wait longer then necessary to have your case reviewed or could be removed from the court session.
- Please remain on mute unless the Judge calls your case.
- Engage the video on your device if you are able.
- There will be an opportunity to speak with the Municipal Prosecutor in a breakout room.
- All fines and costs are due the day of court. If you require more time, please ask the Judge for a Time Payment Order of TPAY.
- If you can’t afford an attorney, the Judge will ask you if you’d like to apply for the public defender for matters involving “consequences of magnitude-sentences that involve the following: jail, driver’s license suspension or fines greater than $800”.
- Interpreting services are available if English is not your language of choice. Please let the Judge know which language you prefer, and he will call the interpreter.
- What Types of Cases are Heard in Municipal Court?
- When is a Court Appearance Required?
- Is Medford Lakes Court handicapped accessible?
- I want to sign a complaint. How do I do this?
- I need to change my court date. How do I do this?
- What is mediation?
- I need an attorney but cannot afford one. Can I be represented by the public defender?
- Can you recommend an attorney?
- I received a subpoena to testify from your court. Do I have to appear?
- I received a legal notice indicating a change of court date, but never received an actual subpoena. Do I have to appear?
- I have posted bail money. When can I get it back?
- I understand a warrant for arrest has been issued against me. What do I do?
- The Judge said my fine was $100, why am I paying more?
- Why did the Judge order me to pay more than the amount indicated on the traffic summons?
- When does my ticket have to be paid by?
- How many points does this ticket have?
- The officer said I could pay this ticket. Why do I have to appear in court?
- I would like to plead guilty to a lesser charge. What do I do?
- My driver’s license was suspended because I did not pay my ticket. How do I take care of this?
- How may I obtain a receipt for a ticket previously paid?
- I lost my ticket and don’t know how much it is. What should I do?
- Can I make payment by credit card?