The Borough of Medford Lakes now shares assessment services with Medford Township. If you wish to see the Assessor, please visit the Medford Township Municipal Building located at 17 North Main Street, Medford.
The Tax Assessor's duties may be divided into these major functions:
- Discovery and location of all real property and certain personal property used in business in the taxing district
- Listing and description of property in a systematic, convenient manner
- Determination of taxability based on a wide variety of tax exemption and tax deduction statutes
- Valuation of property through an appraisal of each property and an assessment based on that appraised value
- Tax equalization responsibilities via district revaluation programs and for purposes of distributing State Aid to schools
- Defense of assessments upon appeal
The Assessor, in his work of discovering, describing, and valuing all taxable property, takes the first step in raising the bulk of the funds necessary to finance local government.