Construction work must be inspected in accordance with the State Uniform Construction Code Regulations N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.18. This agency will carry out such periodic inspections during the progress of work as are necessary to ensure that work installed conforms with the requirements of the Uniform Construction Code.
The owner or other responsible person in charge of work must notify this agency when work is ready for any required inspections specified below. Requests for inspections may be called in with permit numbers to the Construction Department between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. The work must not proceed in a manner which will preclude the inspection until it has been made and approval given.
Required Inspections for Subcodes
Required inspections for all subcodes are as follows:
- The bottom of footing trenches before placement of footings, except that in the case of pile foundations, inspections shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the building subcode.
- Foundations and all walls up to grade level prior to back filling.
- Utility services, including septic.
- All structural framing, connections, wall and roof sheathing and insulation; electrical rough wiring, panel and service installation; rough plumbing. The framing inspection shall take place after the rough electrical and plumbing inspections and after the installation of the heating, ventilation and/or air conditioning duct system. The insulation inspection shall be performed after all other subcodes rough inspections and prior to the installation of any interior finish material.
- Additional required inspections for all subcodes of construction, for other than one and two family dwellings, are fire suppression systems, heat producing devices and Barrier - Free subcode accessibility, if applicable.
- Required special inspections. The applicant by accepting the permit will be deemed to have consented to these requirements.
- A final inspection is required for each applicable subcode area before a final Certificate of Occupancy or Approval may be issued. The final inspections include the installation of all interior and exterior finish materials, sealing of exterior joints, mechanical system and other required equipment; electrical wiring, devices and fixtures; plumbing pipes, trim and fixtures; tests required by any provision of the adopted subcodes, Barrier Free accessibility, if applicable; and verification of compliance with NJAC 5:23-3.5, “Posting structures.”
- A complete copy of stamped released plans must be kept on the job site.
NJ State Law 13:45A-16.2 for building, electrical, plumbing, fire and elevator inspections - final inspections are required before final payment is made to contractor.