Applying for a Civil Union / Marriage License

If you wish to apply for a civil union/marriage license the following is needed:

Apply in Person

To apply in person:

  • Application can be made where either party resides with proof
  • Both parties may be present; if applying separately, the same witness must be present
  • 18 years of age
  • Provide social security numbers (which will be kept confidential)
  • Witness 18 years of age or older
  • Fee of $28

Print out the application HERE

Additional Items

Suggested additional items:

  • Birth certificate
  • If you were in a former union, and it was legally dissolved, final decrees
  • If by death, certified copy of death certificate

Applications Online

You may also complete the applications on the State of New Jersey’s website. You must follow the instructions on this site. There is a three day waiting period before the license can be issued. If a time waiver is necessary, it must be granted by a Superior Court Judge.

Additional Information

Any and all additional information please call our office.